Principal & Managing Partner
Ed White is the Managing Partner at Business Aviation Solutions, responsible for both day-to-day operations as well as the company’s strategic vision. With over 35 years of best-practices operations, and with an ability to listen and understand each client’s specific needs, Ed has the experience to help both small and large organizations find unique solutions and creative perspectives for achieving excellence. His expertise at all levels of business aviation, from tarmac to C-suite, makes him uniquely qualified to assist clients in developing greater levels of safety, compliance, efficiency and success.
Ed has been involved in business aviation since 1977, starting as a line service technician, fueling now-vintage aircraft like JetStars, G1’s, early Learjets and King Airs. In the following three decades he lived business aviation, learning from industry pioneers. This culminated in leadership roles at Johnson & Johnson and Amgen’s flight departments, where Ed developed and implemented broad-based, safety-focused processes across all aviation disciplines, including flight operations, maintenance, facilities management and administration.
Over the years Ed saw a compelling need for a no-nonsense, operational approach to consulting and auditing in business aviation. To meet this need he founded Business Aviation Solutions in 2010.
Recent projects that have engaged his expertise include:
- Assisting clients when deciding between ownership options: full versus fractional, in-house versus management company, exclusive use versus charter;
- Advising clients on tax and legal matters relating to aircraft ownership;
- Managing and directing international, on demand business aviation flight departments;
- Advising and validating business flight operations during and after M&A activities;
- Partnering with a leading business aviation services company to provide objective oversight, both operationally and financially, of its clients’ management contracts;
- Best practices operational and safety consulting;
- Long term partnering with a well-known industry vendor to strategically grow its business aviation satellite communications business;
- Entry into service facilitation for operators new to certain aircraft types, including developing procedures and policies addressing the complexities of certain operations;
- Multiple-owner aircraft lease consulting with an emphasis on FAA and IRS considerations;
- Expert witness services: retained and deposed by a major national law firm as a best practices expert in business aviation;
- Process mapping & quality improvement consulting;
- Pilot services on Gulfstream IV/V/450/550 and Phenom 100;
- Assisting operators, from one person flight departments to Fortune 50 companies, in achieving ISBAO certification through pre-audit gap consulting and Stage I/II & III ISBAO audits.
ISBAO Focus After experiencing the good, the bad, and the really ugly in ISBAO audits Ed engaged the International Business Aviation Council and decided to help improve the ISBAO by making it more tangible for operators. With his significant experience running flight departments coupled with his consulting business Ed developed the “Director Preferred” ISBAO audit. This “Better Approach to ISBAO” focuses on the unique challenges each operator faces and applies the ISBAO standard accordingly. The response to Business Aviation Solutions’ Director Preferred ISBAO has been extraordinary. Operators have praised this tailored, collaborative approach to certification.
Industry Involvement Ed White has been actively involved in several important industry initiatives as a thought leader and supporter of business aviation including:
- NBAA Business Aviation Management Committee – Chairman (past)
- NBAA Business Aviation Management Committee – Vice Chairman (past)
- NBAA Business Aviation Management Committee – Advisory Board
- NBAA Leadership Conference – Co-Producer
- NBAA Leadership Council – Member Representative
- NBAA Professional Development Strategic Focus Team – Member (past)
- NBAA Leadership Conference – Speaker
- Georgia Business Aviation Association
- Northern California Business Aviation Association
- Southern California Aviation Association
- Arizona Business Aviation Association
Education and Professional Achievements Ed is a graduate of Embry Riddle Aeronautical University’s Master of Aeronautical Science program (“With Distinction”) and also holds an ERAU Bachelor of Science in Air Studies. Passionate about flying and diverse in operational experience, he holds an FAA Airline Transport Pilot license with over 12,000 hours, flying aircraft from Piper Cub to G550. He is also licensed to fly sailplanes and seaplanes and is type rated in Gulfstream GII/GIII/GIV/GV/G450/G550, Embraer Phenom 100, Hawker HS25, and Westwind jets. In 2005 Ed led a team of early ISBAO adopters and was the 42nd company to achieve certification. He also directed a team that was nominated for Professional Pilot’s Flight Department of the Year. This same group was selected from over 600 operators as the recipient of AIG’s prestigious Award for Operational Excellence.
Ed and his wife, Melody, have four children, ages 13-24, and they reside just outside Atlanta, GA. When not working he enjoys cooking, fine dining, model aircraft, his FXDL Harley and getting beaten on the golf course by his sandbagging friends.
Email Ed at firstname.lastname@example.org
“Director Preferred ISBAO(SM)” and “Business Aviation Solutions – A Better Approach to ISBAO(SM)” are service marks of Business Aviation Solutions, LLC.